Homemade Blueberry Muffins
Homemade blueberry muffins are a quick go-to breakfast and a favorite at our house.
Crumb Topping (Optional)
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tin
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for topping (optional)
1 large whole egg plus 2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
- Crumb topping, if desired: Whisk together flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour in melted butter and toss with a flexible spatula until large crumbs form.
- Muffins: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low; alternate adding reserved flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in blueberries by hand.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups; if desired, sprinkle generously with granulated sugar and mace. Alternatively, sprinkle crumb topping evenly over batter in each cup.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until light golden on top, about 30 minutes. Cool in tins on wire racks 15 minutes before turning out muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of marthastewart.com