Grilled Herb Shrimp with Mango Salsa
Toss this herb grilled shrimp with pasta or in a salad, or serve it as an appetizer alongside the mango salsa.
Grilled Herb Shrimp
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, small-diced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup good olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 pounds jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled (tails left on) and deveined
Mango Salsa (see recipe)
1. Combine the garlic, onion, parsley, basil, mustards, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. Add the shrimp and allow them to marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
2. Prepare a charcoal grill with hot coals, and brush the grilling rack with oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking. Skewer the shrimp. I use 5 or 6 shrimp on a 12-inch skewer for a dinner serving.
3. Grill the shrimp for 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Serve with the Mango Salsa.
Ingredients for Mango Salsa (Makes 2 Cups)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1-1/2 cups diced yellow onion (2 onions)
2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and small-diced
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeño pepper, to taste (1 pepper)
2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
1. Sauté the olive oil, onions, and ginger in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mangos; reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the orange juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and jalapeños; cook for 10 more minutes, or until the orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the heat and add the mint. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
This grilled herb shrimp and mango salsa is a quick and easy crowd-pleaser!
Copyright 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties! by Ina Garten, Clarkson Potter/Publishers, All Rights Reserved
Source: Barefoot Contessa
Photo: James Merrell